Monday, July 27, 2009

no sleep 'til dc

apparently that's the motto i am functioning under! seriously, what was i thinking trying to cram every ounce of summer enjoyment into one weekend?! i am paying the price, dear friends, but not looking for a refund at all.

our friday night plans included fine dining at the newest lindley restautant, public house. joining us for a fantastic date night were st. louis transplants, molly and brian. molly has tried to convince me of the following two things recently: sundresses are not mandatory for every function and the food at public house is decidedly delicious and definitely all-american. i mentioned she was from st. louis for a reason. that food she so loves...it is southern through and through! parts of the menu read like my collection of southern cookbooks. the dessert menu was the epitome of our regional fare, banana pudding, caramel cake, you get the idea. josh and i split (relished, devoured, indulged in...) three of the small plates; quail with balsamic vinegar blackberries on a bed of grits, house made cheese with an heirloom tomato salad and chattanooga sour dough bread, and scallops with an apple slaw. i believe i allowed josh 2 bites of the grits before claiming that as a southern born girl, it is so obviously my birth rite to eat the grits!

we headed out to the theater for josh's contribution to the evening, star trek in imax. let's leave this portion of the adventure at this: my stomach was not so bold as to go where no man has gone before and i was forced to concede to the ginormatron screen and exit the building after 30 minutes. as soon as the movie let out, me, my belly full of grits, my obligatory sundress, and my grit-less but star trek satiated man took the long walk home.

saturday brought a whole new adventure for us in the form of an early morning trip to nashville for the rei garage sale. if you don't know me well, let me preface this portion with this: it is my firm belief that i have a divine gift at shopping. besides sleeping, it is what i do best in life. i like, as with all things, for there to be a bit of competition in my shopping. show me a line full of crazy people trying to get bargains, i will join it, i will dominate it, i will emerge victoriously! and so it went with the rei sale. our loot included this sweet watch for josh and new trail runners for me at ridiculously low prices.



to celebrate our triumphs, we matched our wits with a new portion of the fiery gizzard trail and had a great time! i realized while looking through the pictures that hiking gear is not too flattering and i apparently am getting crows feet, so this one picture will have to suffice for one incredible afternoon trek.



as soon as we got home and got clean, we hopped on the shuttle and headed out to the free movie in the park. for three years now i have begged and pleaded with every friend i have to join me for a picnic in the park and these movies in july. i've had no takers. when molly called and asked me if i wanted to go, i nearly exploded with joy!




mason and cameron joined us, but didn't make it in to any pics! sorry! josh and i are contemplating this mis-step...

sunday morning i woke up with a full on sinus headache. sheer force of will got me out of bed and headed to church. after a weekend of so much fun, i felt i was certainly headed for a let down...and then we started the morning with this:

this is my Father's world, and to my list'ning ears,
all nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres.
this is my Father's world; i rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; his hands the wonders wrought.

this is my Father's world, the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker's praise.
this is my Father's world: he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass i hear Him pass, he speaks to me everywhere.

this is my Father's world, o let me ne'er forget
that thought the wrong seems oft so strong; God is the ruler yet.
this is my Father's world: the battle is not done:
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heav'n be one.


what hope! what great hope!

No comments: